Thursday, July 19, 2018

Of Course Not


Of Course Not


When light sheds upward from
the upward edge
of a mighty thunderhead,
and sends beams straight,
curling along
the curved firmament
                 boundary
of my perception,
appearing to reach out towards me,
at the angle of eagles’ wings,
I, too, am lifted to soar the skies
                                and bathe in the light,
                                                and climb those lines to the apex,
                                apparently directly above my head.
But this vision is a mirage.
My feet are planted.
Truly the light is far from me,
On the other side of the storm.
I am standing in its shadow,
                as it flees, falling off the edge
                                to shed its light on the other side of the world.
Such soaring must have meaning.
I did not delude myself,
                force an illusion
                                to build myself wings to fly.
                Mirage?
Why should my mind make myth
                of what just
might have been meant for me?
I don’t need such visions
To weather a storm
Or endure the dark of night.
                                                                            Of course not.


In response to a picture posted by Doug Van Niel



No comments:

Post a Comment