Tuesday, April 11, 2017

A Prayer on a Better Day


A Prayer on a Better Day

Please judge me,
Hold me to account,
Recount the times
All the times
Slipped and falling,
Or Stuck and stalling,
I cry out calling,
I quit
This is it,
I admit,
I quit.
But judge me as well
On my best days,
Where I’m striving,
Long from thriving,
Still only arriving,
But where something’s driving
Me to be
Beyond myself,
For there are those days
Still those days,
There will still be those days,
Where faith recedes
Doubt succeeds
And my ego pleads
For control,
Since even adults
Seek results,
Are sensitive to insults,
Desiring proof
I’m not bulletproof
Nor shatterproof
Nor weatherproof,
The rain on my roof
Threatens to cave in
This self-made haven
Wherein I’m craven
Playing defense
Seeking evidence
Ever on the fence
With no confidence
That my presence
Is honored, respected,
Not neglected
I’m affected
By what you say,
What you do,
How you react to me
Loving you,
If I’m shoving you
It’s just a test
Expressed
In the contest
Ever between us,
I don’t want to push
But there are days I do
And I can’t take them back,
But if I could
I know I would,
They’re all there
On the report
Freely submitted to the court
And I on the mercy of the court
Lay it all.
Judge me, but know,
I’m ever striving still
I won’t give up until
I pay the last bill
Climb the last hill
Rising higher
My fire
Is burning,
Not earning,
Just yearning
To be the me,
You created to be me,
Though I falter,
I place on the altar
Of grace
And face
What I’ve put my name on
What I’ve based my game on
What I’ve built my fame on
From the first to the last
Much lies ahead
Much is past,
All that I ask
Is that you know me
Every piece,
The greatest and the least,
And I will do my best
Until I’m laid to rest,
My mouth from my mind
Humbly prays
On this,
One of my better days.






.










No comments:

Post a Comment