Friday, April 4, 2014

I'm Fine

When unpacking an empty phrase,
A phrase like, "I'm fine," as in,
"How are you?" "I'm fine,"
You don't look in the dictionary,
Because that's a source for meaning,
And there is none here. It's not 
Meaning, but it's absence present.
Absence, our minds not in it either,
At least not the moment, somewhere else,
Somewhere more real and important,
And the real is not here with you
In tangible conversations in person,
The real is reserved for the digital. 
Yeah we talk with our fingers now.
Mouths are obsolete. If you want me
Send me an email. All things important
Need a record, a file folder, otherwise
You don't want to know, and honestly,
I don't want to tell you, so fine then.
Life is too busy for such things,
Like how and am and I or you, fine then.
Who needs conversation, when there
Are things to do, and no time to do them,
No time to waste. . . Tick. . . Tick. . .
A glance at my watch, and . . .
"Yeah, I gotta go. . . Man. Tell them I said, hey"
"Will do, take care." Who was that?
Doesn't matter anyway, does it?
Fine then.

No comments:

Post a Comment